Honey is truly one of nature's best MVP. You've probably drizzled it on your toast or in your tea, but what about your face?
Can I apply raw honey on my face?
Honey is a well-known ingredient in the skin care world, and for good reasons. It's a natural humectant which also contains a high amount of antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, and anti-microbial compounds to fight skin troubles and strengthen the skin, regardless of your skin type.
Related article: Ingredients 101 Honey and its Buzzworthy Skin Benefits
While it sounds good, is it actually OK to grab that jar of honey in your kitchen cupboard, and smear it all over your face? DIY skin care is generally a tricky territory to explore. There are plenty of DIY recipes on the internet, and rave reviews from users who have tried them. However, the main issue is that DIY skin care haven't been tested for effectiveness and safety like the skin care products on the market.
Besides, raw honey is not a single cure-all ingredient for all skin ailments. It is actually recommended to be used in conjunction with other ingredients to maximise its effectiveness.
So, in short, we recommend keeping your jar of honey for your pancakes or tea, and sticking to professional skin care products for your face. There's honestly no reason to use honey straight from the jar, as there are plenty of good, well-tested products out there that feature honey as a main ingredient!
Best Korean Skin Care Products with Honey
1. I'm From Honey Mask: This is the ultimate mask for any honey lover! Made with 38.7% Jirisan honey, this luxurious wash-off mask will brighten, hydrate, soothe and improve your skin's elasticity.
2. Neogen Real Polish Honey & Sugar: Who said honey is only in masks or moisturisers? This sugar and honey scrub from Neogen helps remove dead skin cells, while leaving your skin moisturised and recharged.
3. I'm From Honey Glow Cream: Another notable honey product from I'm From! This cream contains 30.63% Honey Glow Queen™ (Honey Complex), which is a unique blend of 7 active ingredients—honey, black bee propolis, royal jelly, bee venom, turmeric, bee pollen and cinnamon—to hydrate, brighten, increase skin elasticity and reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
4. COSRX Honey Glow Kit: Looking to start a honey-powered routine? This kit contains COSRX's Full Fit Propolis Synergy Toner, Full Fit Propolis Light Ampoule and Full Fit Propolis Light Cream to turn dry and rough skin into glowing and smooth!
5. Innisfree My Real Squeeze Mask Manuka Honey: This nourishing sheet mask is saturated with manuka honey and Jeju green complex (consisting of green tea, tangerine, cactus, camellia leaves, and orchids) to deeply hydrate and brighten dry and dull skin.