Ingredients 101: Caffeine to Reduce Redness and Minimise Pores?
Many of us start our days with some form of caffeine in our cups—or increasingly, on our faces. It is now not uncommon to find caffeine cropping up in your skin care products, from lotions and sheet masks, all the way to eye creams. Well, turns out, caffeine works just as well in skin care as it does in your favourite mug!
Benefits of Caffeine for the Skin:
1. Reduces Inflammation, Puffiness & Pores: Caffeine is a vasoconstrictor, which means that it constricts blood vessels. The idea is that by applying a vasoconstrictor like caffeine on red, puffy or inflamed skin, it helps reduce blood flow to the area, thereby reducing the appearance of inflammation or dark circles. That amazing shrinking action can also work on your pores, making them look smaller and your skin firmer.
2. Reduces Cellulite: In addition to restricting blood vessels, a study has shown that caffeine is also capable of stimulating the enzymes that break down fats. This can possibly help to prevent and reduce the appearance of cellulite!
3. Fights wrinkles: Caffeine is a powerful antioxidant, so it can help negate the effects of free radicals produced by your body, helping to reduce fine lines and wrinkles when included in skin care formulas.
Related article: Why You Need Antioxidants in Your Skin Care Routine
Best Caffeine Product Recommendations:
1. Rovectin Skin Essentials Activating Treatment Lotion: This water-based lotion will give your skin the wakeup call it needs. Featuring a hydrating barrier repair complex to fortify the skin's natural barrier, enzymes to gently exfoliate and caffeine extract to firm skin and reduce puffiness!
2. Klairs Fundamental Eye Awakening Gel: Caffeine is a popular ingredient in eye creams, due to their ability to de-puff! We recommend checking out this lightweight eye gel from Klairs, which contains caffeine and red bean extract to improve puffy eyes and dark circles. If you're looking for a more heavier eye cream for nighttime use, the Klairs Fundamental Nourishing Eye Butter is another great caffeine-infused eye cream to try!
3. A'Pieu Coffee Milk Mask: If you're not ready to invest in a dedicated product yet, sheet masking is a fun way to incorporate this ingredient to your skin care routine! Wake up tired skin with this coffee-infused sheet mask from A'Pieu, which also features special air pockets that allows it to retain moisture for longer and to spread the essence evenly without irritating the skin.