What is snail mucin actually?
Snail mucin, also known as snail slime or snail secretion filtrate, is a thick fluid made up of proteins, glycolic acid and elastin naturally produced by snails!
Snails mucin was first used in ancient Greece as a topical treatment to help reduce inflammation. They then began to crawl their way into creams and essences as Korean beauty pioneered the idea of taking the super healing snail mucin extract and implementing it in skin care.
What skin care benefits can I get from using skin care with snail mucin?
Too many to count! Snail extract or snail mucin is packed with hyaluronic acid, glycoprotein enzymes, proteoglycans and copper peptides, all of which are commonly used in beauty products and proven to be beneficial for healing or rebuilding the skin. Plus, it also has anti-microbial properties to fight off acne-causing bacteria!
All in all, snail mucin is known for hydrating, repairing skin damage, fighting blemishes, evening out skin tone, fading acne scars or pigmentation, firming and tightening the skin, and boosting elastin and collagen production to slow the signs of ageing to a snail’s pace.
How are snail mucin sourced? Are any snails harmed during the process?
Thankfully, with the advancements of better technology, snails do not have to be harmed in the process. For example, COSRX extracts snail slime by simply placing the snails over a mesh net, allowing them to freely roam in a dark and quiet room for 30 minutes and leave mucin in their trails. No external stress are applied to these snails, because they believe that optimal mucin production occurs when snails are well-rested and comfortable in their habitat.
What are some of the best K-Beauty products with snail mucin?
- COSRX Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence: Packed with 96% snail filtrate, this powerful essence will help hydrate and repair your skin, among a thousand other skin benefits. Emily Ratajkowski herself has cited this exact essence as her star product to fight acne breakouts when her skin freaked out during isolation!
Read article by Harpers Bazaar: The Secret Behind Emily Ratajkowski's Dewy Skin? Snail Mucin
- Benton Snail Bee High Content Mask Pack: Sheet masking is the perfect way to introduce your skin to snail mucin, while giving it that instant glow! Packed with snail filtrate and bee venom, this sheet mask is suitable for all skin types, even sensitive and acne-prone skin.
- Missha Super Aqua Cell Renew Snail Cream: This lightweight cream features 70% snail mucin extract as its star ingredient to support natural cell regeneration and replenish moisture for healthier and more youthful skin.
- COSRX Advanced Snail Peptide Eye Cream: This eye cream is made with 72% snail mucin to moisturise, protect and rejuvenate the eye area. Five different types of peptides and niacinamide are also present to help brighten dark circles and protect your skin from wrinkles!
- Some By Mi Snail Truecica Miracle Repair Serum: This multifunctional snail serum helps remove dark blemishes, scars and visible marks while calming down skin sensitivities.
Shop all our snail skin care products here: https://nudieglow.com/collections/snail-skin-care
Have you tried any skin care products with snail mucin before?