Being pregnant does not mean that you have to miss out on amazing skin and amazing skin care!
Pregnancy is a wonderful time, but it can also be scary with all of the (mis)information floating around about what you can and cannot safely use on your skin. However, one of the biggest pregnancy myth out there is that all (or most) products are dangerous! While there are several ingredients to avoid, there are also a ton of products and skin care brands that are absolutely safe to use.
Check out the truth behind some of these frequently asked ingredients:
- Retinol (Absolute NO): Commonly found in anti-ageing skin care, pregnant women should avoid vitamin A products, including retinol, retinoic acid (Retin A), adapalene (Differin) and tazarotene (Tazorac), as they can disturb the development of an embryo or fetus.
- Salicylic Acid: This one is a bit tricky. Acne treatments like salicylic acid are normally avoided during pregnancy, but some doctors argue that small percentages used in skin care (2% or lower) are OK. If you’re still doubtful, consult with a doctor, or opt for the pregnancy-safe COSRX Acne Pimple Master Patch to treat breakouts instead!
- Benzoyl Peroxide: Similarly, BP is also another debatable ingredient, but is considered safe to use during pregnancy as long as it’s in low concentrations (5% or less).
- Hydroquinone (Absolute NO): This common ingredient in brightening skin care may be associated with birth defects, so it’s best to avoid it. If you’re struggling with dull skin or hyperpigmentation during pregnancy, try exfoliating more regularly or use a Vitamin C serum instead.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C serums like the Klairs Freshly Juiced Vitamin Drop are great additions to your skin care regimen, as they can treat dark spots while keeping your skin plump and wrinkle-free during pregnancy.
- Alpha-Hydroxy Acids: Another safe alternative to treat pigmentation issues during pregnancy are Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHA)!
- Avodenzone and oxybenzone: Commonly found in chemical sunscreens, these ingredients are normally not recommended in pregnancy. Most of the reasoning behind ingredients to stay away from is not because it is dangerous per se, but because of the lack of testing on women who are pregnant.
- Anti-ageing skin care with niacinamide, hyaluronic acid, and peptides are generally considered safe for use during pregnancy—there’s no research proving they’re a problem for topical use. So you can still use your Klairs Midnight Blue Youth Activating Drop or Heimish Marine Care Rich Cream with no worries at all!
As you can see, there are plenty of products out there that will keep your skin glowing (without harming your mini me!)—just be sure to double check with your dermatologist or OB if you’re uncertain about starting a new product. In the same way that every person’s skin is different, so is every woman’s pregnancy!
What are your best pregnancy skin care tips or products? Share your favourites in the comments!
Is frudia green grape serum safe for pregnancy
Seeking for the comment the skin care products for pregnancy
What about some by mi galactomyces vitamin c toner?
Full List of Ingredients
GALACTOMYCES FERMENT FILTRATE,BUTYLENE GLYCOL,1,2-HEXANEDIOL,NIACINAMIDE,GLYCERIN,ASCORBIC ACID,TROMETHAMINE,C12-14 PARETH-12,WATER,ALLANTOIN,CELLULOSE GUM ,ETHYLHEXYLGLYCERIN,ADENOSINE,HYDROGENATED LECITHIN,POLYGLYCERYL-10 STEARATE,PANTHENOL,SODIUM ASCORBYL PHOSPHATE,PHENYLETHYL RESORCINOL,PROPOLIS EXTRACT,ARONIA MELANOCARPA FRUIT EXTRACT,ASPALATHUS LINEARIS EXTRACT,BAMBUSA VULGARIS EXTRACT,MALTODEXTRIN,SACCHARIDE HYDROLYSATE,FICUS CARICA (FIG) FRUIT EXTRACT,PHOENIX DACTYLIFERA (DATE) FRUIT EXTRACT,TUBER MAGNATUM EXTRACT,BIOTIN,FOLIC ACID,HOUTTUYNIA CORDATA EXTRACT,PYRIDOXINE,OPUNTIA COCCINELLIFERA FRUIT EXTRACT,OPUNTIA FICUS-INDICA EXTRACT,CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE,ADANSONIA DIGITATA SEED EXTRACT,LEUCONOSTOC/RADISH ROOT FERMENT FILTRATE,BRASSICA OLERACEA ITALICA (BROCCOLI) EXTRACT CALENDULA OFFICINALIS FLOWER EXTRACT ,SPARASSIS CRISPA EXTRACT CYANOC,OBALAMIN,TOCOPHEROL,EUTERPE OLERACEA FRUIT EXTRACT,RIBES NIGRUM (BLACK CURRANT) FRUIT EXTRACT,RUBUS FRUTICOSUS (BLACKBERRY) FRUIT EXTRACT,RUBUS IDAEUS (RASPBERRY) FRUIT EXTRACT,VACCINIUM ANGUSTIFOLIUM (BLUEBERRY) FRUIT EXTRACT V,CCINIUM MACROCARPON (CRANBERRY) FRUIT EXTRACT,VACCINIUM MYRTILLUS FRUIT EXTRACT,SPIRULINA MAXIMA EXTRACT,ASTAXANTHIN,INOSITOL,LINOLEIC ACID,THIAMINE HCL,DISODIUM EDTA ,ITRUS AURANTIUM BERGAMIA (BERGAMOT) FRUIT OIL,LIMONENE,LAVANDULA ANGUSTIFOLIA (LAVENDER) OIL,LINALOOL ,CARAMEL
What is the best toner that is safe for pregnant women?
Do Huxley products safe during pregnancy?
What skin cleanser do you recommend that pregnancy safe?