From kombucha to kimchi, probiotics are known to do incredible things for your gut and digestive system. But did you know that they can also work wonders for your skin?
What exactly are probiotics?
Probiotics are microorganisms that occur naturally within and on the body. They play a vital role in keeping our bodies in balance, from assisting in the break down of nutrients to keeping our immune systems strong.
Just like the gut, the skin has its own unique set of microbes. On top of our skin's physical barrier lives a layer of natural bacteria that helps promote healthy skin function and helps it remain in a balanced state. Probiotic skin care products helps cultivate a healthy skin biome by influencing the types of bacteria that live on your skin, making sure that they're always the "good" types, and protecting your skin from harmful aggressors.
Benefits of probiotics for your skin
1. Help prevent acne breakouts: When the skin's microbiome gets out of whack, it can lead to skin issues like acne. Research has shown that oral and topical probiotics can help tame acne by inhibiting inflammation, oil production, and the growth of propionibacterium, a bacteria linked to breakouts.
2. Fight wrinkles: By restoring your skin’s natural protective barrier, probiotics can help make your skin more resistant to negative effects of UV exposure, which in turn results in fewer wrinkles and fine lines!
Related article: When Should You Start Using Anti-Ageing Products?
3. Repair your skin and reduce its sensitivity: There's a growing body of
Best Korean skin care with probiotics:
1. Missha Time Revolution Night Repair Probio Ampoule: This anti-wrinkle ampoule contains fermented ingredients including a probiotic lysate called bifida ferment lysate, which has been shown in a clinical study to help increase skin's resistance to external stressors!
2. Missha Time Revolution The First Treatment Essence Rx (Pro Ferment): Formulated with probiotics and fermented ingredients, this cult-status essence hydrates, balances your skin's microbiome and strengthens the skin barrier. Additionally, this essence also contains ceramides to deeply hydrate and niacinamide to soothe and brighten skin!
2. Neogen Probiotics Youth Repair Cream & Neogen Probiotics Relief Cream: These Probiotic creams from Neogen contains a patented complex of three different types of probiotics (Bifida ferment lysate, Lactobacillus, and Streptococcus thermophilus ferment), along with hydrating hyaluronic acid and ceramide to protect the skin barrier for a healthier and more youthful-looking complexion.