Did you know that next to UV rays, pollution is the next leading cause of premature ageing and sensitive skin?
The alarming effects of pollution to our body are no secret, your skin included! Studies have shown that pollutants are small enough to enter our skin and wreak havoc, causing inflammation, the breakdown of collagen, as well as hyper-pigmentation and brown spots. This is why people who move to a polluted city from their rural hometowns will frequently note their skin suddenly going haywire.
Protecting our skin from air pollution is not as simple as just applying SPF. Our main priority should be strengthening the skin barrier so that it won't be easily susceptible to the negative effects of pollution. Here are the three things you have to keep in mind:
First, ensure you are cleansing properly so pollutants aren't left on the skin's surface and breaking down the skin barrier. Double cleansing twice a day will effectively remove any pollutants and oil-based impurities that may settle onto your skin during the day or overnight. Pick the right gentle cleansers, and make sure you're not under-doing or over-doing it!
Exfoliating helps remove any dead skin and allows your treatments to absorb properly. You can bring out the big guns here, whether it's a powerful chemical exfoliator, a detoxifying charcoal mask or an antioxidant-rich face scrub!
The Neogen Bio-Peel Gauze Peeling Green Tea is a champ at exfoliating your skin, while soothing and protecting your skin from premature ageing!
Yes, SPF will protect your skin from harmful sun rays, hyperpigmentation, and premature ageing, but that's not enough to protect your skin! Make sure your routine is jam-packed with products that are filled with antioxidants, anti-inflammatories, and collagen-boosters.
Ingredients to look out for when it comes to protecting your skin from pollution are vitamin C, vitamin E, green tea, ceramides and squalene, just to name a few. Here are some of our best product picks:
- Jumiso All Day Vitamin Brightening & Balancing Facial Serum: Remember how growing up our mums used to say that vitamins are good for you? Well, she's absolutely right, and this serum is packed with not only Vitamin C, but also A, B, D, E and K to not only protect your skin, but also target hyperpigmentation, redness, wrinkless and dullness!
- Klairs Freshly Juiced Vitamin E Mask: Vitamin E is a super powerful antioxidant, and coupled with adenosine and niacinamide, this pudding-like mask is a powerhouse at protecting, brightening and hydrating the skin!
- Innisfree Green Tea Seed Eye & Face Ball: Don't forget your eyes! If you don't want your first crows feet to show up early, this cooling rollerball eye cream will help protect your skin, while soothing and hydrating the eye area.
- COSRX Balancium Comfort Ceramide Cream: Ceramide is such a lifesaver when it comes to dealing with and rebuilding a damaged skin barrier. This cream will transform dry, irritated and damaged skin to healthy, happy skin with just a few applications.
- Olivarrier Fluid Oil: Made with 100% olive-derived squalane, this lightweight do-it-all oil will provide hydration without greasiness and protect your skin from acne, redness, dullness and harmful free radicals!
The entire Huxley range also deserves a shoutout for their high antioxidant content, and anti-pollution effects on the skin. If you're looking to switch to a new moisturiser, check out the Huxley Glow Awakening Cream!
What other tips do you have to protect your skin from air pollution?