Move aside, honey! Propolis is the new natural beauty ingredient you need to know about for acne-fighting and maintaining a youthful glow!
Besides honey, which is considered one of nature's best and most powerful products, hardworking honeybees also produce another lesser-known byproduct: propolis! And much like honey, propolis is jam-packed with all the good stuffs — amino acids, antioxidants, vitamins — that can help treat a variety of skin concerns.
Related article: Ingredients 101: Honey and Its Buzzworthy Skin Benefits
Where does propolis come from?
Sometimes referred to as "bee glue," propolis is a naturally-occurring ingredient made by bees. They are used to fill in honeycomb crevices within their hives for protection from cold weather and invaders like other insects. Propolis is essentially a mixture of the bees' saliva with beeswax and sap from local trees and flowers. Sounds gross, but it's great news for your skin, particularly if you're prone to breakouts!
What are the benefits of propolis?
- Propolis helps treat acne (even fungal acne): Because of its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, propolis is not only effective at getting rid of pimples, but also preventing them by easing the inflammation that leads to the acne in the first place. Propolis also has amazing anti-fungal properties, making it the perfect ingredient for treating fungal acne!
- Propolis treat redness and pigmentation: Since propolis has powerful healing and anti-inflammatory benefits, it can also help ease redness and prevent post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
- Propolis has moisturising and repairing benefits: Propolis can keep your complexion hydrated without an oily, heavy feeling. It also works to regenerate skin and make its texture smoother and suppler.
- Propolis helps fight free radicals: Propolis is packed with antioxidants, which really helps in fighting free radicals that leads to premature ageing, dullness, dark spots, and more.
- Propolis helps increase the effectiveness of Vitamin C: Vitamin C and antioxidants is truly a match made in heaven. This doesn't only apply to Vitamin E, the antioxidant-rich propolis can also boost the effectiveness of your vitamin C serum!
What are some of the best propolis products?
BEST PROPOLIS GEL: Benton Aloe Propolis Soothing Gel
Containing aloe vera and propolis, this lightweight gel is one of our best-sellers to heal troubled skin, fade acne scars, brighten skin tone and maintain the skin’s hydration levels throughout the day.
If you're looking to start a propolis-powered routine, you can't go wrong with this trio! With minimal and clean ingredients list championing black bee propolis, these COSRX products will bring that smooth, healthy glow back to your skin.
BEST PROPOLIS AMPOULE FOR ACNE: By Wishtrend Polyphenol in Propolis 15% Ampoule
Looking to treat acne and hyperpigmentation without drying out your skin? This By Wishtrend ampoule will be your new favourite go-to when your skin is feeling ugh.
BEST PROPOLIS AMPOULE FOR RADIANCE: Tosowoong Propolis Sparkle Ampoule
Generous (100ml!), lightweight, containing a whooping 80% propolis extract, this internet sensation in Korea promises to leave your skin glowing and "sparkling"!
BEST PROPOLIS MASK: iUNIK Propolis Vitamin Sleeping Mask
Enriched with 16% propolis extract, 8% vitamin tree fruit extract and 5% centella asiatica leaf water, this sleeping mask is a champ at soothing and deeply hydrating your skin while you sleep.
Have you tried any skin care products with propolis before?