Joining the ranks of centella asiatica, snail mucin and propolis, mugwort is having a serious moment in K-Beauty, and for good reasons!
If you haven't heard of mugwort yet, here’s what you need to know. Mugwort, which is sometimes referred to as artemisia, is a weed that is commonly used in Asian herbal medicine. Its powers have been known for centuries, and it is even said that mugwort was behind the creation of the first Korean dynasty. Legend has it that the power of mugwort is so strong that it has the ability to turn a bear into a woman, who gave birth to Dangun, the founder of the first Korean Dynasty, Gojoseon. Ever since, it is well-known for its healing purposes.
When consumed in tea form, it has been known to treat indigestion, alleviate aching joints, boost blood circulation, and even relieve menstrual cramps. And even though its name and history sounds like a thing of mythology, or from right out the pages of a Harry Potter book, many believe that mugwort truly is a thing of magic.
So, how does mugwort manage to do all of this? Simply put, it’s packed with antioxidants, and as we know, anything with antioxidants is not only great for inner health, but also for our skin's health as well!
Related article: Why You Need Antioxidants in Your Skin Care Routine
Benefits of mugwort for the skin:
- Soothes inflammation: There is a tonne of research out there that confirms that mugwort heals inflammation, and boy, does it do it well! If your skin is feeling overly sensitised and is looking reddened (both very common characteristics of a compromised skin barrier) then mugwort is a great ingredient to turn to.
- Antibacterial (to fight acne!): Many specialists agree that while the magic of mugwort is one of a kind, it does share many similarities with another great antibacterial ingredient, tea tree oil. It kills bacteria and fights breakouts in a super effective, yet gentle way. Plus, it has a much more pleasant scent compared to tea tree oil.
- Anti-irritation: As well as soothing skin that is sensitive, mugwort is also great at soothing skin that is irritated from things like bug bites, allergic reactions or even heat rash.
- Moisturising: The mugwort plant also contains high levels of vitamin E, which has the ability to nourish and hydrate dry and dehydrated skin types. With regular use of mugwort products, dry and flakey skin can be a thing of the past!
- Radiance: Due to its moisturising properties and its ability to soothe redness, mugwort makes an excellent ingredient to give your skin a gorgeous, lit-from-within glow!
TOP 3 Best Mugwort Products:
This wash-off mask is packed with crushed mugwort sourced from Korea’s Ganghwa Island. What’s great about it is that the ingredients like green tea, rose and chamomile extract, are suspended in a gel, so you aren’t only getting the cooling sensation from the gel, but the soothing powers of mugwort. This mask delivers powerful results in a matter of minutes, and will make your skin sigh in relief. Figuratively, or course.
Mugwort essences are having a big moment in K-Beauty right now, and this is one of the most popular picks on the market. What’s special about this bad boy is that it contains 100% concentrated mugwort extract, and nothing else. If you are the type of person who has super sensitive skin, or just craves simplicity, this essence provides an easy, fuss-free way to get a dose of mugwort into your routine. This essence is simple, yet effective, which is why it has earned its cult status among K-Beauty enthusiasts.
This cream is formulated with 73.55% mugwort extract, and has a lightweight and hydrating texture that is suitable for all skin types. It’s designed to not leave any residual film on the skin, but instead make the skin feel nice and refreshed. This is a great pick for not only sensitive skin, but acne-prone skin as well, since the formula won’t cause any congestion.